The Astoria–Megler Bridge (pictured above) is a steel cantilever through truss bridge that spans the Columbia River between Astoria, Oregon and Point Ellice near Megler, Washington. Located 14 miles from the mouth of the river, the bridge is 4.1 miles long and was the last completed segment of U.S. Route 101 between Olympia, Washington, and Los Angeles, California. It is the longest continuous truss bridge in North America. Visually Hugging Astoria by Kim Taylor took this incredible photo, follow her on Facebook!
The North Fork of the Yachats River Covered Bridge was built in 1938 with a Queenpost truss, one of the few of this type remaining in Oregon. It was faithfully restored in 1989.
If you make this trip in the early morning or evening, watch for elk grazing in pasture land shared by goats, horses and belted black cattle, affectionately referred to by local children as the “oreo cows” for the creamy white stripe that circles their mid-sections.
This gorgeous covered bridge crosses the Alsea River in Benton County.
Bridge of the Gods
The Bridge of the Gods is a steel truss cantilever bridge that spans the Columbia River between Cascade Locks, Oregon, and Washington state near North Bonneville. It is approximately 40 miles east of Portland, and 4 miles upriver from the Bonneville Dam. It is a toll bridge operated by the Port of Cascade Locks.
The bridge was completed by Wauna Toll Bridge Company and opened in 1926 at a length of 1,127 feet. The higher river levels resulting from the construction of the Bonneville Dam required the bridge to be further elevated in 1940 and extended to its current length of 1,856 feet. The Columbia River Bridge Company of Spokane, Washington, acquired ownership of the bridge in 1953 for $735,000. The Port of Cascade Locks Commission now operates the bridge.
Crooked River High Bridge was built in 1926. It spans the Crooked River gorge in central Oregon.
Cavitt Bridge (Little River Bridge)
The Cavitt Creek Bridge, crossing Little River at the junction with Cavitt Creek, is another of the wooden structures built by Floyd Frear, noted Douglas County builder.
The design features Tudor arch portals to accommodate heavy log truck usage, and the upper and lower chords utilize raw logs as its members. Each side of the roofed structure sports three windows, and long narrow slits above each truss allow “daylighting” as well as ventilation for the bridge interior.
The bridge has a metal roof and a floor with longitudinal running planks. The covered structure sits on concrete piers.
The area surrounding the bridge site was settled in the early 1880’s and named for Robert Cavitt, who settled on a tributary of Little River. This covered bridge was included in the thematic nomination of Oregon’s covered bridges to the National Register in 1979, but was not listed at the request of the County.
Issac Lee Patterson Bridge
The Isaac Lee Patterson Bridge, also known as the Rogue River Bridge and the Isaac Lee Patterson Memorial Bridge, is a concrete arch bridge that spans the Rogue River in Curry County, Oregon. It is part of a series of notable bridges designed by McCullough for the Oregon Coast Highway in the 1930s. It was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2005.
Marquam Bridge is a futuristic looking two-story bridge built in 1966 that crosses the Willamette River in Portland. It’s the busiest bridge in all of Oregon.
St. John’s Bridge
Designed by internationally renowned engineer David B. Steinman (1886–1960) and Holton D. Robinson, of New York, the St. Johns was the longest suspension-type bridge west of the Mississippi River at the time of construction. It is the only major highway suspension bridge in the Willamette Valley and one of only three major highway suspension bridges in Oregon.
The St. Johns Bridge is a steel suspension bridge that spans the Willamette River in Portland, between the St. Johns neighborhood and the northwest industrial area around Linnton. It carries U.S. Route 30 Bypass. It is the only suspension bridge in the Willamette Valley and one of three public highway suspension bridges in Oregon.
Dry Canyon Creek Bridge
This single-span reinforced concrete deck arch bridge was designed by Conde B. McCullough and completed in 1921. The main arch spans 75′, while the total length of the bridge is 101′. This bridge is similar in design and detailing to the Sheppard’s Dell Bridge, also on the Columbia River Highway. Both of these bridges are well suited to the landscape and environment in which they are placed, which was a characteristic feature of all structures built on this highway. This bridge is the fourth deck arch designed by McCullough for the State of Oregon and is significant as an early example of his work in reinforced concrete.
Tilikum Crossing (Bridge Of The People)
This new bridge over the Willamette River in Portland and is exclusively for cyclists, public transportation, pedestrians, and emergency vehicles to cross the river and opened for use on September 12th, 2015.
This beautiful historic bridge was built in 1937 in Sweet Home, Oregon.