In case you haven’t heard yet, a water advisory was issued Monday night, as small amounts of cyanotoxins were found in the Detroit Reservoir. The reservoir supplies Salem’s tap water, and according to the news the toxins are caused by an algae bloom.
Free, clean water will soon be available in Salem and Stayton. I’m directing @OregonGuard to make available clean water stations as conditions continue to be closely monitored to ensure the health and safety of Detroit Lake water users. https://t.co/j9Ah4VlHQR
— Governor Kate Brown (@OregonGovBrown) May 31, 2018
In light of the low-level toxins, Governor Kate Brown has declared a state of emergency for Marion and Polk Counties.
SALEM WATER – city spokesman says with water advisory still in place, officials are now working to set up water distribution centers but couldn’t provide more details #KOIN6News
— Cole Miller (@ColeKOIN) May 31, 2018
As of Thursday, according to Salem city officials, the Vulnerable Population Water Advisory is in effect until further notice. KOIN reports starting this afternoon, ODM is deploying 10 water stations with clean water at 5 locations throughout Salem and Stayton.
Residents in the area are advised to use only bottled water for drinking, and of course, making ice, preparing food and beverages, and using for infant formula. Boiling water is not advised, as this will not destroy cyanotoxins. In fact, it may increase the toxin levels.
Just talked with an #Oregon Emergency Management spokesperson who said she doesn’t know what the recent “Civil Emergency” alert was about – but she said she assumes it’s related to the no-drink warning on Salem-area water.
— Tom James (@tomjames206) May 30, 2018
Price gouging consumer alert
As a result of the toxins in the water, there have been several complaints already filed in the last two days. Under state law, retailers are forbidden from raising their prices more than 15 percent higher than the original price before the emergency declaration.
If you have encounter price gouging, you are encouraged to immediately file a complaint on the consumer complaints website or call the state’s consumer hotline at 877-877-9392.
KOIN news has provided a full list of Keizer water locations:
– The City of Keizer is activating 3 water stations at City Hall on the Chalmers Jones Skate Park side off Rickman Rd in the parking lot. Should be up and running after 530 pm tonight and available to access 24 hours.
– (Business) BFit Gyms 5045 River Road- We can have people come in and fill up water bottles if they need. We don’t have a faucet or anything for hoses we can offer but if people need to come get cold filtered water our doors are open
– (Business) The Human Bean Keizer 5007 River Road N
– (Residence) John Trost (Farmer’s Insurance Agent) 1185 Swingwood Ct NE Turn right at the light across from the B&S Market instead of left onto Wheatland. We are at the very end of the court. This is a private residence so please be mindful of their time and property.
– (Residence/Business) Star 21 Inc Health Care Products & Medical Equipment – 5030 Newberg Drive N – I have a hose hooked up which can even reach the street to their vehicle for filling containers. This is a private residence so please be mindful of their time and property.
– (Business) Skyline Ford and Skyline’s Keizer Ford 3555 River Road N
– (Business) Odd Moe’s Pizza Keizer – Open 11am-10pm today & tomorrow and 11am-11pm Friday
– (Business/Residence) Gerald Pygott, Owner of PSC Marketing Group, at his residence 4765 Riverwood Drive – this is a private residence so please be respectful of his property and time.
– (Business) Tony’s Kingdom of Comics and Collectibles 3856 River Rd, Keizer – inside faucet/sink
– (Business) Keiser Heidi-Integrity Medical Evaluations Inc. 5845 Shoreline Lane N – Hose outside/faucets inside 8am – 5 pm
– (Business/Residence) BattleStorm: Functional Fitness & Defense, LLC 847 Dearborn Avenue NE – Outside faucet/hose until 7pm, please knock on the front door first for assistance and JT and Ashley will gladly help you!
– (Business)Subway at 5462 River Road N – 8am-10pm every day
– (Business)Willamette Valley Bank NMLS# 713109 5140 River Road N – 9am-6pm
– (Business)D & J Dog Grooming 689 Chemawa Rd NE – Will fill jugs in shop or can hook up a hose to the outside spigot.
– (Business) McNary Restaurant & Lounge 165 McNary Estates Drive N – 9am-9pm, any bartender welcome to come on in the front doors and they are happy to fill you up in their kitchen!
– (Residence) Nathan Smith residence @ 1011 Orchard Street N – this is a private resident so please be respectful of their property and time.
– (Business) Willamette Valley Appliance -Keizer
– (Business) Salem-Keizer Volcanoes
– (Business) KeyBank
– (Business) Delaney Madison Grill
– (Business) CASA of Marion County Oregon – hose out by front door.
– (Business) Reliable Computer Services, LLC
– (Business/Resident) Judy Fromherz, Pampered Chef, Aumsville (503) 569-3304
– (Business) Carl’s Jr – River Rd
– (Business) Keizer Christian Church, 6945 Wheatland Rd NE, Mon-Fri, 9am-1pm and Sun 9am-12pm
– (Business) Keizer Little League Fields, spicket by Fieldhouse
– (Business) CS Defining Fitness, hose outside help yourself
– (Business) Creative Kids Learning Center, 596 Evans Ave N
– (Business) Columbia Bank, 4260 River Rd N, Hose in back parking lot by Cherry Avenue side